Your lunch can be healthy for the environment too! Pack your lunch in reuseable containers and bottles rather than clingwraps and aluminium foil.
Choose your base: breads and cereals
- Choose from different grain-based foods including:bread, wraps, rolls, rice, pasta, cous cous, quinoa.
- Choose wholemeal or wholegrain varieties where possible. These will help fill you up and get you through your day.
Choose lean meats, eggs and legumes
- If adding meat to your lunch make sure you choose lean meats such as chicken, turkey, beef, ham, tuna or salmon.
- To add some variety to your lunch box or as a meat alternative try kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils or boiled eggs.
Choose at least two serves of salad or vegetables
- Add salad to your sandwich/roll/wrap.
- Add half a cup of frozen veg to any leftovers.
- Pack a salad.
- Pack some vegetable sticks.
- To add some colour try avocado, beetroot, grilled vegetables or tabbouleh.
Flavour with: low fat salad dressing, reduced-fat mayonnaise, mashed avocado, salsa, chilli sauce, tahini, chutney, horseradish, mustard or tomato-based pasta sauces
Step 2: Add some snacks
- Base your snacks on fruit and vegetables. Other healthy snacks include nuts and seeds, reduced-fat yoghurt, dips and crackers, mini fruit based muffins.
Step 3: Drink plenty of water
- Tap water is the best choice – try it chilled for a refreshing drink.
- Swap fruit juice for a drink of water.
- Swap soft drinks, cordials, sports drinks and iced teas for a glass of tap water.
- Swap full-fat milk drinks for reduced-fat milk drinks.