Base your lunch on:
- Breads and cereals – wholemeal and wholegrain bread, rolls, pita bread, rice, pasta or couscous.
- Lean meats, eggs and legumes – lean chicken, turkey, beef, ham, tuna, salmon, boiled eggs, kidney beans, 3-bean mix or chickpeas.
- Salad or vegetables – lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumber, pumpkin, mushrooms, capsicum or broccoli.
And, don’t forget to add flavour with reduced fat mayonnaise, dips, low fat salad dressings, avocado spread, salsa, chilli sauce, tahini, chutney, horseradish, mustard or tomato-based pasta sauces.
Base snacks on:
- Fruit and vegetables – include fresh fruit, or canned fruit in juice. Or fruit made into a healthy cake, bread or muffin. Vegetables can be eaten fresh whole or in bite-sized pieces by themselves, with a dip or salsa, or cooked in soup, or a toasted sandwich or sometimes a savoury muffin.
Base drinks on:
- Water – swap fruit juice for a piece of fresh fruit and a drink of water. Swap sweetened soft drinks, flavoured waters, cordials, sports drinks and iced teas for plain mineral or soda water, or a glass of tap water. Swap full cream milk drinks for reduced fat or low fat milk drinks.